Sell Your Photos Online - Introduction
This is the first in a series of articles about selling you photos online! Over the coming weeks we will explore in greater detail what we have discussed here.
So, you're a photographer? You want to sell your photos online? But, you don't know where to start!
When it comes to selling your images on-line or anything else for that matter there are a few things that need to be understood and lots of questions that you need to research and answer:
- Know your target audience.
- Find your niche. Don't try to be everything to everybody.
- Know your opposition who they are, what they can offer and how they do it. What are they doing that you can do better? How are they marketing their products or services?
- What makes your product or service better than theirs?
- Have a business plan and marketing strategy.
You're probably thinking that this all sounds a bit cliche right now. You might be right! But, the above points are all very important!
The list could go on and on and on. But, I think you've probably got the point. Differentiate yourself from everyone else and do what you do better than you competition.
Now, lets get down to business! You have an image portfolio ready but don't know how to get started. Depending on what you are trying to achieve and your budget there are a number of different strategies available.
- Put your photo portfolio on a Stock Image website or websites. If submitting to multiple agencies be sure not to break the terms and conditions of one agent by listing with another.
- Build your own website or have one built for you.
- Create a pre-built album on someone elses website. Some are free, some are not!
You may wish to employ either method 1, 2, 3 a couple of the above methods or all of the above. Each method has its pros and cons.
Think about what you want to sell, prints, canvas prints, other printed products or do you want to license your images for reproduction? If your answer is the latter you will need to consider your licencing model. Do you want to sell your prints as Royalty Free or Rights Managed?
If selling prints or other products how are you going to produce them? Are you going to send your images off to a pro-lab to be processed or do you intend to process them yourself?
If you are doing your own printing you will need a good quality wide format printer and know how to use it (not a consumer level printer). All of your equipment will need to be properly calibrated to ensure accurate colour reproduction.
You will need to develop a marketing strategy. Don't expect to build a brand new website and have the masses flocking to buy you pictures - it just won't happen. It takes a structured approach, tenacity and time.
Start thinking about what we have discussed here. Formulate a business plan, define what you are trying to achieve and set yourself some short term goals to help you achieve it.
Next time we will be discussing how we can get you images online...